Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Festive Breakfast Casserole

This is sort of a Christmas tradition. I like to fix a breakfast casserole for us on Christmas Day, but I've only done it once. I don't remember what happened last year, but I know I didn't make it. On Christmas morning, I always get up early, and Steve sleeps in. It gives me something to do until we can open our presents. I'll still usually wake him up earlier than he'd like. I haven't tried this recipe before, but I think it sounds good. I'll half this recipe, since there's just two of us. I'm not sure what makes it "festive", but that's what it was called. I found it here. They have a ton more breakfast casserole recipes here.

8 oz. bulk pork sausage
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
6 cups pepperidge farm (works best) dist. original white bread - cut in cubes (I'll just use regular bread. I don't have Pepperidge Farm, and I'm not going to go to the store today!)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup Pace picante sauce or chunky salsa

Cook sausage until browned, pour off fat. Arrange: sausage in 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with bread cubes and cheese. Mix picante sauce, eggs and milk and pour over all. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Uncover. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until done. Serves 6 to 8. Serve with sour cream and salsa or picante sauce.

ETA: I didn't think it was enough eggs, so I used more. We really liked it. :)

No comments: