Steve's great grandparents were from Croatia, and nut roll is a family tradition every Christmas. Steve has it every year. This past Christmas was my first time making it, and it turned out pretty good. Not quite as good as my mother in-law's, but almost. :) It makes 3 nut rolls. Steve said it was good, his only complaint was that I didn't add more sugar to the top before I baked them. I used about 1 1/2 cups of chopped walnuts.
Croatian Nut Roll
Croatian Nut Roll
4 Cups Flour
1 cake yeast or pkg
2 sticks butter (softened)
5 egg yolks
1/2 tsp baking soda
8 oz of sour cream
Mix dry ingredients. Separate yolks and egg whites. Set egg whites aside. Add egg yolks and sour cream. Mix well, I use my hands at the last. Divide the dough into 3 parts (balls). Put in container one at a time. Like a plastic bowl. Place waxed paper between each one to keep from sticking to each other. Refrigerator overnight or until well chilled.
Filling
1 c. brown sugar
2 lbs grated walnuts or pecan
5 egg whites
Mix all together with mixer.
Roll out dough on granulated sugar. Like a jelly roll. Add 1/3 of filling to each roll spread out except on the edges. Roll dough like jelly roll.
Roll out dough on granulated sugar. Like a jelly roll. Add 1/3 of filling to each roll spread out except on the edges. Roll dough like jelly roll.
Bake for around 1 hour or until golden brown at 325 to 350.
Enjoy
ETA: This year I used about 2 cups of chopped walnuts. I'm not sure how much 2 lbs of nuts is, so I'm still learning. :)
ETA: This year I used about 2 cups of chopped walnuts. I'm not sure how much 2 lbs of nuts is, so I'm still learning. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment