Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Works for me Wednesday



My WFMW tip for today is about moving. Lots of people I know are moving. Kelly, Joe and the boys just moved a couple of weeks ago. Paula and Jeremy are hopefully buying a house soon. My sister, brother in-law, nephews, and mom and dad are moving to Arkansas in a couple of weeks, (yes all of them!). These tips have served me well through my many moves. Thanks to all of you who helped me through those years. Thankfully, I'm never, ever moving again. I'm happily staying where I am in our house in the country.

First, when you're packing all of your belongings, keep in mind how long they may be in storage. The amount of time your boxes will be stored should be proportionate to the detail you label your boxes. Trust me on this one. If you just label a box "kitchen", six months later you will not remember where you packed your blender when you're craving a strawberry milkshake. So label everything! And I mean everything! If you're just planning to unpack everything as soon as possible, this may not be as important to you. But if you're like me, and thought you would be unpacking everything within a couple of months, but plans changed and you needed to keep almost everything you owned stored in boxes for two years, then this comes in handy. If I had known that, I also would have packed with mothballs. And something to keep mice away. Do mothballs do that too? They would keep me away. I don't know. But I was surprised to find a mouse in one of our boxes once it finally got unpacked at our apartment a couple of years ago. If I were to move like that again, I would number all my boxes and keep a master list of everything. But my husband would say that's me being overly organized. But if he was looking for a can opener, I would be able to find it! Can one be too organized? I don't think so.

Second moving tip, pack a "move in" box that is different from all your other boxes so it's easy for your to spot and keep track of. Keep it with you in the car instead of the moving truck. Keep important things in this box and unpack it first. Toilet paper, trash bag, change of clothes, towel, paper towels, paper plates, toothbrush. Anything you think you will need right away but don't want to have to unpack 14 boxes to find it all.

And if you're moving, get lots of helpers. Not me. I can't help you. Thank goodness, I have a legitimate excuse! Just kidding. I'd help if I could. :)

No comments: